Friday, October 18, 2019

Exciting Scary Stuff


🏥 HEALTH UPDATE: 🏥

Yesterday was a big exhausting day. Mom and I took a little road trip 🚙 to the University of Chicago Medical Center to meet with a colorectal surgeon ✂️ about my desire to quit medicine and have my colon removed in order to have relief from the ongoing ulcerative colitis flares 🔥. In my five years with UC, I don’t think I was probably ever truly in remission.

We were blessed 💗 to have my cousin Lindsey join us for what became a rather long appointment. Lindsey is a nurse practitioner 👩‍⚕️ on U of C’s heart and lung transplant team (there are a lot of acronyms after her name, so I hope my layman’s job title was okay). Lindsey has offered support before, but I never wanted to bother her, but now that it’s time for big scary 🔪 stuff, I decided it was time to bother her! I’m so blessed that she’s going to help manage family logistics when I’m hospitalized too!

I’m also so very happy with my surgeon 👨‍⚕️! He did a wonderful job of explaining things to me and helping me understand. He does this procedure 2-3 times per week. And he has a personality… all docs don’t. LOL. He even commented on my Purdue 🚂 shirt. And jacket. And bag. 

Here’s the plan… colectomy with an end ileostomy. What does that mean? Removal of the colon and creating an ostomy with the end of my small intestine. What’s an ostomy? Bringing the small intestine to the surface and wearing an appliance 👜 that will collect my output at that point. This surgery leaves some options open for future “modifications” to my innards.

I’ve posted previously about the j-pouch procedure (ileal pouch anal anastomosis), which is a multi-surgery ✂️ process that reconnects your plumbing internally, eventually doing away with an external bag. I’m on board with my surgeon’s strategy… he looks at this in stages and we’re focusing strictly on the first surgery for now, we’re not getting the cart ahead of the horse by discussing subsequent surgeries at this point. It’s possible that I may end up not wanting the internal j-pouch or maybe I wouldn’t be a good candidate. Who knows?

The surgeon answered our various questions and somewhere in there I asked him if, other than surgical pain, if I'd still feel like 😢 "this" for awhile after surgery. He said nope, I'd feel better right away. That's when the water works turned on. 😭💦💦💦 #happytears (The surgeon handled my little emotional breakdown pretty well too, so that’s a good indicator of bedside manner!)

While there yesterday, they did a whole bunch of pre-op stuff 💉 to save me from another trip to Chicago between now and surgery. I signed a bunch of papers ✍️, they took some blood, and I met with an ostomy nurse to learn how to manage life with an ostomy. The ostomy nurse also marked me for my ostomy site… you don’t just drill a hole anywhere… it’s got to be convenient to your rolls, to the way you sit, the way you stand, and how you wear your pants 👖. (For the record, an ostomy bag is a whole lot smaller and flatter than I thought!)

So when is surgery 🔪? This will be the best Halloween 🎃 ever! On October 31st I’ll say buh-bye to my colon. 👻 I’ll be hospitalized for 5-7 days and recovery at home for a few weeks following. 

I’ve never had surgery before, shoot I still even have my wisdom teeth! So yeah, I’m scared, and excited, and happy, and nervous, but can’t wait to not feel like “this”! Thank you to all my family and friends for all your ongoing support. 💖



No comments:

Post a Comment