Thursday, January 30, 2014

Proud to be an Athena!

I ran my first 5K back in 2010, and finally in 2013 I decided to join my local running club, the Calumet Region Striders.  Last Saturday, the Striders held their annual banquet, which provided me the opportunity to reflect on my 2013 participation in the Striders “Gold Cup Series”. 

In hindsight, 2013 was rough!  I gained weight and plateaued, and I really slacked on my running.  Ever since my first 5K in 2010, my aim has been to run at least one event per month.  In 2013, I got to the point that I wasn’t really running in between my events (I was still doing other workouts, but not running regularly).  I got slower.  But I knew I could get it done.  If it weren’t for the friendly competition presented by the Striders Gold Cup Series (I had to run at least 10 races from the Gold Cup “menu”.), I may have abandoned running.

5th Place Athena* for the 2013
Gold Cup Season!
I had previously set some running related goals for 2014 anyhow, primarily getting down to a 28:30 5K, and setting a 10K PR (personal record).  Saturday night inspired me to really get more serious about those goals, and really work hard to be the best me I can be, and really compete in the Athena* Division of the Gold Cup this year!  I’d like to see myself finish no less than 2nd place in the division for the 2014 season!  And if I stick to my plans for 2014, I know I can do it!

I’d like to extend a heartfelt thanks to all the volunteers who provide leadership to the Calumet Striders!  You truly make a difference for so many of us! THANKS!


*For those who are unfamiliar with the term “Athena” as it relates to running, it’s what I call “the big girl division” for females who weigh more than 150 pounds.  There is also the “Clydesdale” division for males who weigh more than 190.  (I struggle to say the Clydesdale one with a straight face, because I just picture my brother-in-law galloping like a draft horse.)  When you sign up for Athena or Clydesdale it takes you out of competing with your age group, and pits you against other big people.  Quite frankly, I’d love to see those weights be a touch higher.  I’m built like a brick outhouse, not a runner, I probably haven’t weighed 150 since junior high (or maybe even elementary).

2 comments:

  1. You have done amazing and this year will be awesome for you! Thank you for all the encouragement you give me and for being such a wonderful example to me and other runners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You're so sweet! You inspire me too! :-) Hopefully we can meet in person at a race this year!! :-) And you are gonna kick some serious butt in your marathon!! You have the drive, ambition, and positive attitude to make it happen! :-)

      Delete