Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Got Chocolate Milk?

My sister & I refueling with chocolate milk after
the June 2013 Lincoln Park Zoo Run 5K in Chicago, IL.
Did you know that lowfat chocolate milk has 9 essential nutrients that an athlete needs, including some not found in many recovery drinks?  Take a closer look at chocolate milk: 
  • A natural source of high-quality protein to build lean muscle.
  • The right carb-to-protein ratio scientifically shown to refuel and rebuild exhausted muscles.
  • Vitamin A to support a healthy immune system and good vision.
  • Electrolytes including calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium to help replenish what’s lost in sweat.
  • B vitamins for energy.
  • Fluids to rehydrate.
  • Calcium, vitamin D, phosphorous, protein and potassium to build and maintain strong bones and reduce the risk for stress fractures.

I’ve always enjoyed an icy cold chocolate milk, but it was in the fall of 2011 when I first learned just how good it is as a recovery drink.  I was on Facebook when I saw the opportunity to apply for a grant from Chocolate Milk to help support athletic goals.  Turns out, I received that grant, which helped fund my trip to my first half marathon, the Disney Princess Half in the spring of 2012!  And ever since I learned of the benefits, I’ve been trying to spread the word and let others know that chocolate milk is not only delicious, but nutritious.  Learn all about it at: http://gotchocolatemilk.com/science.

Chocolate milk is on my mind as I write this, as I’ve just updated my profile with Team Chocolate Milk for 2014. (Click here for my 2013 profile.).  In my 2014 profile, I’ve declared that 2014 is going to be the best year yet since I began my fitness journey. I’ve struggled a bit in 2013, but am leaving 2013 on an upswing and plan to dominate 2014!! I WILL return to my 5K personal best and I WILL set a new personal record at the 10K distance.  And chocolate milk WILL play an important part in my post-exercise regimen, to help keep me fueled and healthy and ready for that next workout!

Follow me at:

Follow Got Chocolate Milk at:

No comments:

Post a Comment