Monday, April 12, 2010

HELP! I've Hit a Wall!!

It’s been nine days since I ran the “Ringing in Spring” 5K, and I’ve skipped workouts more frequently in those nine days than I have since I started on my “fatty to 5K” quest seven months ago.

Let’s take today for example...
I started my day out thinking that I’d leave the office by 2:30 or so to hit the gym for a strength and cardio workout. By lunchtime, I was still in the right mindset of looking forward to leaving and hitting the gym. Then, somewhere in the afternoon, my attitude deteriorated and by the time I FINALLY left my office at the usual closing time of 4:30, I had no interest in working out. I drove to the gym. I circled the lot. I eventually found a parking spot. I pulled into the parking spot. And then I decided I wasn’t going in.

So what was in my head as I made that decision to drive away? There were hardly any spots in the lot, which I extrapolated to mean that I probably wouldn’t be able to get on an AMT machine for my preferred pre-lifting cardio and that there were probably so many muscle heads in the weight area, that I probably wouldn’t be able to accomplish my strength workout efficiently. This was the excuse that justified my driving away.

In reality, I’ve hit a wall. I’ve had a negative attitude lately and I just can’t make myself get back into my fitness routine! Yesterday I dragged myself to the gym for a 3.1 mile run on the treadmill. Usually, once I get going, I’m fine. Yesterday, however, I had to tell myself that I had to do at least one mile and then I could stop if I wanted. When I reached a mile, I was still filled with negativity, but pushed myself to 1.5 miles, then 2, then 2.5, then 3, then 3.1. And I wasn’t even feeling energized and proud of myself when I was done, as I usually do.

I really don’t want to rewind my physique back to where I started, so I need to establish some new goals or find a way to mix things up. I’ve got an appointment with my personal trainer this Thursday, so we’ll definitely have some things to talk about.

If you have any ideas about how I can become reenergized, please leave your comments here or tweet me at twitter.com/joangrott.

1 comment:

  1. find something other than running and the gym to do! :) Like bike ride or walk...it's beautiful out! Or take horseback riding lessons somewhere, it's a great workout!...just some thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete