Monday, April 19, 2010

Back on the Wagon and Ready for Turkey Season!

As I last reported, I fell off the fitness wagon. Well, I’m happy to report that I jumped back on the ol’ wagon and I’m ready to forge ahead. I met with my trainer last week, and we talked through what I had been going through, and she said it’s natural for that to happen, so I felt better about it.

I’m going to be less structured in when I do which run each week, and I’ll just pretty much do whatever I want when I run rather than being tied to 3.1 mile run, long run, and sprint workout each week. Also, my new strength training regimen will get me out of the gym quicker…it’s mostly dumbbell stuff in which I’ll be working multiple muscle groups with each exercise. The lifting should only take about 30 minutes, and I’m to work in a total of 30 minutes of cardio before and after lifting.

One of my goals is to get faster, and my trainer said that I’m doing what it takes to get faster, it could just take awhile. I worked my way to where I’m at pretty quickly, and I’ve kind of hit a wall in which I don’t feel like I could physically go any faster. I just need to keep doing what I’ve been doing, and eventually I’ll hopefully be able to establish a quicker pace.

Even though I just said I’m back on the wagon, I’m about to possibly take another hiatus! Indiana’s turkey season opens on Wednesday and once I hit the woods before sunrise on Wednesday, I’m not going to be able to find time to hit the gym until I shoot a turkey…which could mean I’m back in the gym Wednesday afternoon, or it could be after the season ends on May 9th. My track record with turkey hunting has involved opening-morning success, hunting up until the last day without success, and various things in between. My preference is to pull the trigger and down on a record-breaking gobbler on opening morning, but that’s easier said than done!!

I’m pretty fired up for turkey season! Hopefully my next blog will involve the story of a successful hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment